Illinois residents pay up to 76 percent more to attend a Big Ten school and up to 49 percent more to attend a Mid-America Conference school than their counterparts in other states, according to a Higher Education Tribune’s analysis of in-state tuition at public colleges and universities in 10 Midwest states.
The Tribune compared in-state tuition at 115 schools. Seventy-nine are competitors in 10 athletic conferences, including five Division I schools, five Division II schools and one Division III school. Illinois has schools in six of those conferences.
How does Illinois’ in-state tuition compare by athletic conference? Illinoisans pay…
- 76 percent more to attend the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in the Big Ten than Nebraska residents paid to attend the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in the same league.
- 73 percent more to attend University of Illinois at Chicago in the Horizon League than Wisconsin residents pay to attend UW-Green Bay in the same league.
- 49 percent more to attend Northern Illinois University in the Mid-America Conference than Ohio residents pay to attend the University of Toledo in the same league.
- 99 percent more to attend Illinois State University in the Missouri Valley Conference than Missouri residents pay to attend Missouri State University in Springfield in the same league.
- 66 percent more to attend Eastern Illinois University in the Ohio Valley Conference than Missouri residents pay to attend Southeast Missouri State University in the same league.
- 53 percent more to attend the University of Illinois-Springfield in the Great Lakes Conference than Missouri residents pay to attend Truman State University in the same league.
The Big Ten is a Division I conference that includes 14 members. The analysis includes 10 of those schools.
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign||Illinois||33,932||$15,058|
|University of Michigan- Ann Arbor||Michigan||28,983||$14,402|
|University of Minnesota- Twin Cities||Minnesota||34,870||$14,142|
|Michigan State University||Michigan||39,090||$14,062|
|University of Wisconsin-Madison||Wisconsin||30,958||$10,488|
|Indiana University- Bloomington||Indiana||39,184||$10,388|
|Ohio State University||Ohio||45,831||$10,037|
|University of Iowa||Iowa||24,476||$8,575|
|University of Nebraska- Lincoln||Nebraska||20,833||$8,537|
The Horizon League is a Division I conference that includes 10 members. The analysis includes nine of those schools.
|University of Illinois-Chicago||Illinois||17,959||$13,664|
|Cleveland State University||Ohio||12,352||$9,768|
|University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee||Wisconsin||20,968||$9,493|
|Northern Kentucky University||Kentucky||12,380||$9,384|
|Indiana Univ.-Purdue Univ.-Indianapolis||Indiana||21,748||$9,205|
|Wright State University||Ohio||12,504||$8,730|
|Youngstown State University||Ohio||11,283||$8,317|
|University of Wisconsin-Green Bay||Wisconsin||6,757||$7,878|
The Mid-America Conference is a Division I conference that includes 12 members. The analysis includes 11 of those schools.
|Northern Illinois University||Illinois||14,079||$14,204|
|Central Michigan University||Michigan||19,877||$12,150|
|Western Michigan University||Michigan||18,313||$11,493|
|Eastern Michigan University||Michigan||17,862||$11,209|
|Bowling Green State University||Ohio||14,852||$11,057|
|University of Akron||Ohio||17,417||$10,270|
|Kent State University||Ohio||23,684||$10,012|
|Ball State University||Indiana||17,011||$9,654|
|University of Toledo||Ohio||16,223||$9,547|
Missouri Valley Conference
The Missouri Valley Conference is a Division I conference that has 11 members. The analysis includes six of those schools.
|Illinois State University||Illinois||18,643||$14,061|
|Southern Illinois Univ.- Carbondale||Illinois||12,182||$13,481|
|Western Illinois University||Illinois||8,543||$12,655|
|Indiana State University||Indiana||11,202||$8,746|
|University of Northern Iowa||Iowa||10,104||$8,309|
|Missouri State Univ.- Springfield||Missouri||20,316||$7,060|
Ohio Valley Conference
The Ohio Valley Conference is a Division I conference with 12 members. The analysis includes six of those schools.
|Southern Illinois Univ.- Edwardsville||Illinois||11,720||$11,008|
|Eastern Illinois University||Illinois||5,957||$11,580|
|Eastern Kentucky University||Kentucky||14,293||$8,868|
|Morehead State University||Kentucky||9,752||$8,496|
|Murray State University||Kentucky||8,877||$8,400|
|Southeast Missouri State University||Missouri||10,693||$6,990|
Great Lakes Valley Conference
The Great Lakes Valley Conference is a Division II conference with 15 members. The analysis includes five of those schools.
|University of Illinois-Springfield||Illinois||2,959||$11,413|
|University of Southern Indiana||Indiana||9,585||$7,605|
|University of Missouri- St. Louis||Missouri||13,898||$9,394|
|Missouri Univ. of Science & Technology||Missouri||6,906||$9,057|
|Truman State University||Missouri||6,039||$7,456|