Illinois Board of Higher Education issued the following announcement on July 3.
Pursuing doctorate degrees, research on heart attacks in women, the Certified Nurse Educator exam, and more. These are examples of how nurse educators in Illinois are using fellowship dollars.
The Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) and the Illinois Nursing Workforce Center (INWC) Advisory Board are proud to acknowledge the 2019 Nurse Educator Fellow recipients, each of whom is awarded $10,000 to help promote excellence in nursing education. "We are grateful to state lawmakers, who funded this program in recognition of the many benefits it provides to the educators, their colleges and universities, and their students," said Nyle Robinson, interim executive director of IBHE. "The list of projects, research, and plans for additional degrees and certifications that this group is pursuing is beyond impressive."
Many recipients use the funds to join professional organizations, attend continuing education conferences, or conduct research and present findings. Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation Secretary Deborah Hagan said, "This group of 19 outstanding professionals are educating and training the nurses of tomorrow. Nursing is a critical profession and it is heartening to see the dedication and ambition that educators exemplify. Congratulations to each of them."
Other projects include studying a multi-disciplined approach to intimate partner violence (IPV), cardiovascular disease in rural Haiti, medical adherence in older adults with heart failure, and quality and safety initiates in inter-professional approaches to health care in Glasgow, Scotland. Some of the fellows are using the funding to join professional organizations, attend conferences, take certification exams, and access professional journals on nursing.
The awards were given at recognition ceremonies in Chicago and Springfield. Those attending in Chicago:
Front row, from left:
- Keith Bakken, MS, RN, North Park University
- Angela M. Lepkowshi, DNP, RN, NCSN, PHNA-BC, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Kara Fenne, MSN, RN, PEL-CSN, Aurora University
- Nancy M. Petges, Ed.D., MSN, RN, CNE, Northern Illinois University
- Karen M. Roberson, DNP, RN, Joliet Junior College
- Ashley Hasselbring, MSN, RN, CCRN, University of St. Francis
- Elizabeth A. Davis, DNP, RN, CNL, RN-C MNN, Elmhurst College
- Lindsey Garfield, Ph.D., RN, WHMP, Loyola University Chicago
- Brooke Lyn Piper, MSN, RN, Olivet Nazarene University
- Charlene Bermele, NDP, RN, CNE, Saint Xavier University
- Melissa Jarvill, Ph.D., RNC-NIC, CHSE, CNE, Illinois State University
left to right:
- Angela Andrews, Ph.D., RN, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- Susan M. Carl, MSN, RN, Heartland Community College
- John R. Blakeman, MSN, RN, PCCN-K, Millikin University
- Lydia A. Bertschi, DNP, APRN, ACNP-BC, Illinois Wesleyan University
- Catherine Folker-Maglaya, DNP, APRN, CNM, IBCLC, Malcolm X College
- Heather Lea Heilman, MSN, RN, CHSE, Kishwaukee College
- Autumn Mels, MSN, RN, Trinity Christian College
- Ariel Wright, MSN, RN, Lakeview College of Nursing
- Toula Kelikian, MS, PhD (c), MS, RN, Morton College, Cicero
Original source can be found here.