City of Des Plaines Fire Department issued the following announcement on Aug. 21.
The Des Plaines Fire Department would like to invite Des Plaines residents to participate in its 4th Annual Citizen Fire Academy. The Academy will be held from 6:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday evenings from September 12th through November 7th (except for Halloween on October 31st), with a graduation ceremony the evening of November 14th.
Similar to the popular Citizen Police Academy, the Citizen Fire Academy offers participants insight into how firefighters/paramedics perform their various duties. Each class will begin with a short classroom lesson followed by a hands-on activity. Participants have hands-on training in the following areas: vehicle extrication, hose line deployment/management, ladder truck operations, engine company operations, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), emergency medical services, and self-contained breathing apparatus (air packs).
The goals of the Citizen Fire Academy are as follows:
- To explain the tactics and strategies of firefighting and rescue, along with the dangers and benefits inherent to this type of service.
- To provide insight into the inner workings of the Des Plaines Fire Department and to better inform the residents of Des Plaines about the multitude of services which are provided to the community.
- To foster an understanding of the broad spectrum of knowledge, training, and skills that are necessary to be a member of the Des Plaines Fire Department.
- To better prepare residents of Des Plaines to react properly in the event of a fire or medical emergency.
- To encourage Academy participants to return to their organizations, neighborhoods and families to share information which will develop more safety-conscious citizens.
- To provide an interactive forum for both the Fire Department and the citizens to share information and concerns.
Original source can be found here.
Source: City of Des Plaines Fire Department